Tuesday, October 10, 2006

EBBP # 6 Update

I am sooo excited!!!
Jeanne at Cooksister has just received my parcel and blogged about it in her very eloquent fashion, she also took pictures of what I have sent and it is quite exciting to see something you sent described and photographed by someone you don't know at all... I am touched!!! And in general very enthusiastic about this whole EBBP idea!!!
Here is the AWAME recipe I sent Jeanne along with my parcel:
For the dough:
4 cups all purpose flour
15 gr. dry yeast/ 30 gr. instant yeast
3/4 cup corn flour
3 table spoon sugar
1/2 tea spoon salt
2 cups water in room temperature
Oil for deep frying

For the syrup:
3 cups sugar
2 cups water
Juice from one lemon
A few drops of rose water

Preparations:
1. Prepare the syrup ahead by cooking the water the sugar and the lemon juice on a medium heat, add the rose water at the end after you remove it from the stove.
2.The dough: put all the ingredients in a bowl kneed until receiving a smooth mixture. Let the mixture rest until it doubles in size. After the dough has doubled beat it for two minutes, let it raise again and after it doubled beat again for 2 minutes (total of 3 times you mix and let it rest).
3.Heat the oil, take some of the mixture with a tea spoon, and use another tea spoon to slip it into the oil (you might wanna grease the tea spoon so that the mixture won't stick). Fry the little balls until they receive a golden color. Remover from the oil and leave outside so that the extra oil will drop off (I normally use a strainer), then put the balls in the syrup and serve either warm or cold…. People can't resist them!

Hopefully my parcel will arrive soon - I can't wait to see what I'll get...Andd then I could blog about it!

I was asked by Simonetta to give the recipe for thecinnamonn pistachio cookies.
It is a recipe by Karin Goren who gained real fame in Israel lately with the publication of her lovely desert cook book, (it is in Hebrew so no point of linking to it really).

Ingredientss:
240 gr. soft butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 spoons honey or silan
3 egg yolks
3 cups allpurposee flour
2 tea spoon cinnamon
1 tea spoon mincedcardamomn (or ginger - in powder)
1 tea spoon baking soda
1/4 tea spoon salt
1 cup pealed pistachios

Preparation:
1. Mix butter, sugar, honey (or Silan)and egg yolks in the foodprocessorr.
2. In a bowl mix all the dryingredientss excluding the pistachios, add the dryingredientss to the mix of the butter (stage 1). Mix it in pulses not in acontinuouss press, untilreceivingg crumby mixture. Add the pistachios and kneed the dough until you get a dough ball.
3. Roll the dough into long cylinders (3 cm in diameter), wrap each cylinder with a clingfilm and put in the freeze for an hour. (You can also leave it in the freeze for as long as you want and each time bake just a few cookies).
4. Warm an oven for 180c.
5. Cut the cylinders into 2 cm slices, arrange the cookies on a baking tin and bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool the cookies and keep them in a close container outside the fridge.

These cookies are absolutely gorgeous and I guess you can play with the spices you decide to put in. Simonneta, if you do bake them please let me know how did they turn out... How odd... After I translated the whole recipe from Hebrew I found an exact same recipe in English in Williams-Sonoma's site, they call it Pistachio-Spice Cookis so in order to stay on the safe side I added a lead to their site... Someone is a copycat!!! In any case there are pretty pictures in the Williams Sonoma site and perhaps the English version is better than my falter translation but it is too late at night for me to change all of this post so please excuse me.
Good Night

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

Hi Gitit!

Thanks again for my fab parcel! I have tried to e-mail you twice, but I get a bounceback from your yahoo address - do you have another one I can use? Still enjoying the wonderfull cookies - I have realised that there are actualyl 4 different types included! And I still love the pistachio ones - thanks for posting the recipe!

12:44 PM  
Blogger Star-Apple said...

Hey Scott...
Unfortunately I did not receive it yet... However I am not yet worried as we had our Holiday here the past 2 weeks so there might have been some delays. If I won't be getting it this week I will start worrying about it. In fact, I am quite anxious to receive it already :( I hope it will end up well, and I will receive it soon. Of course I will blog about it as soon as I will get it!!! And will let you and Johanna know!!!
Thanks for checking
Gitit

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home